Monday January 11, 2021 (X Day)
Also, follow us on Twitter @Robinmicklems:
*Goal for Semester 2 – Use your water bottles from home.
Increasingly, students are asking teachers for water cups and then permission to leave the room at a much larger rate than was planned. Unexpectedly, our budgeted $300 worth of paper cups for the year has been used in just 18 weeks.
All year, we have been OK with students bringing their own clear bottles from home to have water in the classroom. Let’s greatly reduce the time out of class and costs when a simple solution is in place.
Hello 8th Grade Families,
Please remember each high school is going to offer a virtual tour and share information in January. These have been in person open house nights in the past but due to COVID protocols will be virtual experiences this year. Each high school still has a date they will release their virtual information. To access each high school please go to (lps.org) where you will see the High School Open House Information on the front page. Click on the link of the school you wish to access. You can also go directly to each high school website to access their link.
East Wed., January 6
Southeast Tues., January 12
Southwest Wed., January 13
Northeast Tues., January 19
North Star Wed., January 20
Lincoln High Thurs., January 21
Please connect with Mr. Penner in the Mickle Counseling Center if you have any questions.
*8th Grade Families-
1. Please remember to utilize the First Steps to High School Information available on the (lps.org) website. Enter the Jump Code (BIBW) and you will be connected to information about high school choice, virtual open house videos, Focus Programs, and courses all 9th graders will need to take.
2. On Feb. 22 High School Counselors will be at Mickle to register your student for their 9th grade courses.
3. Mr. Penner will be going into 8th grade Social Studies classes in late January to share information about high school with students.
4. The deadline for High School Choice is January 31st. If you are going to attend a high school that is not in your attendance area please fill out the form and return to the Mickle Office.
5. Decide on your child’s “home high school”
- If your child will attend the high school for your attendance area (based on their home address listed in Synergy) you do not need to do anything more
- If your child wants to attend a high school other than the high school in your attendance area, you must fill out the “School Choice” form and return to your child’s middle school or to LPS Student Services office by January 31.
*The “Take It and Make It Kit” for January is make your own wand. Kits can be picked up from the media center. Remote Learners are welcome to participate as well. Just email Mrs. Fickes (firstname.lastname@example.org) that you would like a kit and she will put it with other materials to pick up that week. Share finished creations with Mrs.
*Please plan to join the PTSO for the January meeting on the 14th at 6:30 by zoom. Mr. Penner will be sharing information about choosing high schools and answering questions. If you have an 8th grade you won’t want to miss this, but it is never too early to start learning the options for those in 6th and 7th grades as well. We will see you there!
Join Zoom Meeting
*CURRENT 7th GRADE FAMILIES:
Interested in attending College after hight school? Check out this scholarship program that is aimed at connecting current 7th grade students with some keys to success!
The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Young Scholars Program application will open on January 11, 2021. The Young Scholars Program is a selective five-year, pre-college scholarship for high-performing 7th grade students with financial need. It provides academic advising, along with financial support for school, summer programs, internships, and other learning enrichment opportunities.
Eligible applicants should:
Be entering 8th grade in the fall of 2021.
Have earned all As and Bs since the beginning of 6th grade.
Reside in the U.S. and plan to attend high school in the U.S.
Demonstrate financial need with a maximum adjusted gross income of $95,000.
Click the links below to learn more about this scholarship, you can also sign up for notifications when the applications window opens.
If you have questions please contact 7th Grade Counselor
Patrick Neilly email@example.com
Teams and Practice schedule have been posted. Please have athletes check the Google Classroom. Once numbers are finalized the practice schedule each week will be in the daily announcements and on the Intramural website. ALL practices go from 3:15-4:15.
Arts and Crafts
Dungeons and Dragons Club
Missile Sports and Rec
Lunar Cafe Menu
Breakfast Menu for Monday:
Frosted Flakes Cereal
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bar
Lunar Café Lunch Menu for Monday:
Breaded Chicken Sandwich on a Bun